Wow, what a crazy year 2016 has been! I can’t believe how much has changed for our family since this time last year.
A year ago, we were returning home to Texas after a road trip to visit family in Florida for the holidays. Fast forward 365 days and we’re once again returning from a trip. This time, we spent a week in the Netherlands (which was amazing, btw), a short ferry ride from our new home in England!
With so much going on in our day to day lives, it’s easy to lose track of where we’ve been and the experiences that have shaped us into who we are today. One of the most interesting aspects of this blog is that it provides an opportunity to relive our own thoughts and feelings as we continue on this journey to financial independence and an overall lifestyle change.
Here’s a look back at our top 5 most popular posts of 2016.
5. Discovering Myself – This post may have disappointed a few people. Immediately after publishing it, I was followed by a couple porn sites. Maybe the title was misleading? It’s really about what makes me tick from a work perspective.
4. Guest Post: My Brother’s Journey to Financial Independence – Watching my brother’s financial situation evolve over the last few years has been remarkable. Hopefully his story will inspire others immersed in the typical American lifestyle.
3. This is a Game Changer – The event that triggered this post was the true catalyst that prompted my earlier than anticipated exit from the daily grind and brought our family across the Atlantic Ocean to England.
2. I Couldn’t Help Myself: Preaching FIRE to Coworkers – This was a fun post re-read. As my time in corporate America neared its end, I no longer felt the need to filter my thoughts. This post was about an email I sent to my coworkers. I’m sure it sparked a few conversations around the water cooler.
1. Embracing Life’s Seasons – I didn’t realize why this post was so popular until I read it again over nine months after it was published. Inspired by a book that introduced me to the idea of life seasons, it perfectly summarizes the phases of my life and the transition we’re making as a family to a new, more purposeful life.
As this will be our last post of 2016, we’d like to wish you all a happy and safe new year. See you in 2017!