What’s Next for Ditching the Daily Grind?

fall-pumpkins

First off, to our U.S. readers, we’d like to wish you all an early Happy Thanksgiving from the UK.  As a family, we’ve been blessed and have a lot to be thankful for.  This is our first Thanksgiving since leaving the states.  We appreciate the family members who have already made the effort to visit us all the way across the pond!

That being said, there’s no doubt the last few months have brought a whirlwind of change into our lives.  Mrs. DTG graduated from physical therapy school.  I quit my full-time job.  We moved from Texas to England.  We became a one car family.  Our daughter started school.  The list goes on and on.

During all this chaos, I did a lot of thinking.  I wondered what  I would do now that I didn’t have to go to work every day.  With the daily grind behind me, I’d be sure to have loads of free time on my hands.  Or so I thought.

I briefly wondered if I was cut out for this whole stay at home dad thing.  I’ll be honest, it took a little getting used to.  As a family, we’ve made adjustments and now I can’t imagine going back to the standard 9-5.

I was curious as to what would happen with this blog.  Would I still have stuff to write about?  Would I have other pet projects I’d want to work on instead?  Would I even care?

I wasn’t sure the answer to all these questions until recently when I had a sudden realization.

From the time we found out we were moving to England, I had an idea to start some type of travel blog.  It went through so many mental iterations that I almost felt like giving up on the idea.  The thought of starting a new website from scratch seemed daunting.  The idea of another social media account (or worse, multiple accounts) to manage made my head spin.

I didn’t know where to start and the whole task just seemed overwhelming.

Then, I thought back to the real reason I wanted to start a travel site in the first place: to document our travels… for us.  Once I made that realization, everything came into focus.

That brings me back to the topic of this post and three main points of emphasis.

So what’s Next for Ditching the Daily Grind?

1. Redesigned website – In case you haven’t noticed, I changed the theme about two months ago.  Then, over the weekend I added a brand new home page.  The purpose of these changes was twofold.  First, I simply wanted something different and a little cleaner.  Second, I wanted a theme with a little for functionality, which leads me to my next point.

2. Refocused content – We’re still going to post about our journey towards financial independence, growing our passive income streams, my new freelance work, healthy living (Hey, Mrs. DTG, you’re allowed to write a post once in a while!), and whatever else comes to mind.  This will be in our “Blog” section.  Now, we’re also going to begin focusing more on the third part of the tagline you see in our header, “Family Adventures.”  Here’s where it all comes together.  This section will recap our travels as we explore Europe and other parts of the world.  You’ll find these stories in our “Travel” pages.  We just added a post about our weekend on England’s southeast coast.  There’s more to come soon, so check back often!

3. Revamped posting schedule – For the last four months, you could say our posting frequency has been a little, uh, erratic.  There have been three separate instances during this time where we’ve gone over two weeks without a post.  Other times, we’ve posted on random days.  And, as you can imagine, our readership has been on a steady decline since our all-time high mark in August.  Moving forward, we are adopting a new posting schedule.  We’ll have one post per week and it’ll be on Wednesday.  Today is the start of this new schedule.  Additionally, we’ll begin populating our travel pages.  We just booked a trip to the Netherlands in December.  And, in addition to short trips within the UK, we’re planning a Mediterranean cruise for spring break and tossing around the idea of visiting Greece over the summer.  These trips should bring amazing adventures and we’re super excited!

dtdg-declining-page-views

Blog Traffic by Month.  Look at November… ouch!

So there you have it.  Amidst all the chaos, we lost our direction for a little while.  We’ve once again found our way and we’re not looking back.

What do you think of our site’s new look?  How about the idea for our travel pages?

12 thoughts on “What’s Next for Ditching the Daily Grind?

1. Vicki@MakeSmarterDecisions says:

I love the clean look of your new page! It’s fine to pull back and re-focus too. I think we all have done that (or are doing it!) I think one good post a week is better than rushing to write two or three (all though that is what others’ do). My post schedule is all over the place too – but that’s all I can handle right now. We are going to add a travel page too! I’m writing one for the beach we are at for Thanksgiving. Excited to read yours as we have never been to Europe – but plan to go within the next few years!

Thank you. I agree, I’d rather get one good post published each week than try to cram in multiple. There’s just no way I could handle that.

Enjoy your time at the beach. We enjoyed our English pebble beach experience, but it was freezing! I’m sure you’ll be someplace much warmer.

2. Mrs. DTG says:

Thanks for calling me out! Too bad I’m so busy slaving away and pulling in all the cheddar 😝. Haha jk, I’ll try to post something soon!

Hey DTG,
    The new site layout looks great! Very clean and minimal. And I think the idea for the travel page is really cool. It’s probably best to keep in within the same blog. I’m looking forward to following some of your travel journeys. Also, my posting has been slightly erratic as well. I need to do something similar and set a specific posting schedule. Hopefully the schedule helps with readers! Both you and Apathy Ends did an update type of post like this now…I think I need to write one too. Have a great day.

4. Our Next Life says:

I’m so glad that you have a clear vision for the site — and it sounds great! I was wondering if you were thinking of ditching DTG because you were having such an amazing time living the FI life. 😉 Super happy to know that we’ll all be enjoying more regular posts from you! Happy Thanksgiving to you guys!

Thanks! Everything was super hectic for a while. Now we’re settled, but I feel busier than ever. I’m really just experimenting with different things now, which has been a fun learning experience. My days fly by amazingly fast while working on various projects. I just need to be careful not to take on too much at once.

And no need to worry, I’m in this blogging thing for the long haul. Happy Thanksgiving!

5. Mr. SSC says:

I love the redesign and am looking forward to reading about the travel adventures. When a friend of mine got transferred over to Aberdeen, they traveled just about every other weekend.

As far as the blog focus I feel the same thing when i’m like, “where is this going, why continue?” Then I remember, oh yeah, I’m not doing this for income or anything beyond our own history of tracking this adventure and maybe inspiring people along the way. I feel like I want to revamp our site a bit, change the layout some, clean it up, and then I think, man that couch is comfy, lol. It does take a lot of work juggling family, blog, and work, whatever kind of work it is. 🙂

I know exactly what you’re saying. This site really is a family journal more than anything else. And it is a lot of work to maintain. You start playing around with layouts and templates and before you know it a few hours have passed by!

At times, we have really have to make an effort to travel more, especially now that it’s cold and gets dark really early. Like your friend, I know some single people who are literally all over Europe every weekend. It’s tougher to be as spontaneous with kids.