The Movers are Coming: Now It’s Getting Real

I know we’ve been on an irregular posting schedule lately and I wanted to give you all a quick status update as we continue to prep for our move.

We sold our house!  Well not yet, but it’s on contract.  Although we didn’t quite get the price we wanted, we’ll still end up with a small profit.  Our closing date is early August, a week before we make our move across the Atlantic.

The movers are coming tomorrow to begin packing our household goods.  This past weekend we were furiously going through our stuff, selling what we can’t take, and donating/recycling what we no longer need.  So far we’ve made a little over $900 and will likely double that by the time we’re through.  It’s hard to believe that on Friday evening our house will be practically empty.

You may be asking yourself, why are the movers coming so far in advance of the closing date?  Two reasons:

First, we’re heading to Chile next week!  This should be an amazing trip and we’re completely stoked.  Usually I’d be researching our destination like crazy, but with everything that’s been going on, I just haven’t had the time.  I know for sure we’ll be attending a wedding, skiing the Andes, visiting several cities, and partying with family.  My mother-in-law came to the US from Chile as a teenager and has been dying for us to visit for years.  I’m putting my faith in her and Mrs. DTG’s other relatives to show us a great time!

Second, for overseas moves it can take upwards of two to three months to receive your household goods.  They’re estimating 45 days for us so we wanted to get our stuff shipped as soon as possible.  This isn’t unreasonable considering our furniture and other things will be traveling by boat.  We’ll have a second, smaller shipment sent by air in a few weeks that we should get shortly after we arrive in the UK.

We have some good and bad news with our rental properties.  Let’s start with the bad.  Our warranty claim for structural defects was declined.  In my opinion, the engineering assessment was lacking and did us a disservice.  If there really is no structural damage (which would be good) and it’s all cosmetic, we’ll still have to spend a few thousand out of pocket (at least) to get it up to rental standards.  I’d love to get rid of that house soon, but it doesn’t seem to be a realistic option right now.

On a positive note, we hired a property manager for our other rental home on the opposite side of the country and he quickly secured new tenants on a three-year contract at a great monthly rate for us.  This house was also in need of some maintenance (paint, carpet, landscaping) which is setting us back several thousand dollars.  We’ve been expecting this for a while, though, and have been mentally prepared for these large expenses.

And finally, I only have four working days left at my job!  My official last day is August 5th and I’ll be taking about 15 days off between now and then.  After that, I have two reserve days and then I probably won’t work for about two months!  Once we are settled around October, I’ll start my side projects which will include revamping this blog, starting a new blog, and maybe a little freelancing with some reserve duty sprinkled in.

As you can see, we have lots of changes and excitement on the horizon.  We hope you stay along for the ride!

15 thoughts on “The Movers are Coming: Now It’s Getting Real

Needing a vacation is an understatement! We are very much looking forward to it.

The revamp will bring a fresh, clean layout, new header pic (English countryside?), updated about page, and probably a slight shift in content. It’ll be fun and exciting!

1. Maggie says:

YAY! I’m so excited for you guys! Have a blast in Chile! And of course, living my dream. 🙂 I can’t wait to see what you end up doing with your time. Big changes are coming!

2. Our Next Life says:

So exciting!!! Have an amazing time in Chile, and good luck getting through the home stretch of the home sale and move. Can’t wait to hear lots of updates once you’re settled!

3. Mr. PIE says:

Wow!! Skiing in South America On the to-do list. Look forward to seeing the pics.

And what a set of tasks to take on prior to a big relocation. When we made the reverse move 18 years ago, we could never have dreamed taking on such things. Kudos to you.

Hope you settle into life across the pond smoothly. A lot happening there right now in politics both national and international.

Thank you. Everything is insane right now! So much going on.

We’re all looking forward to this Chile trip. I think it’s going to be awesome. And there will definitely be lots of pictures!

It’ll be interesting witnessing the Brexit transition first hand. Either way, we’re super excited to be living there soon. Only one more month.

4. Kalie @ Pretend to Be Poor says:

So exciting! Was it difficult to choose what to ship? I guess it’d be hard to start all over without furniture and other items, but I imagine international shipping isn’t cheap, either.

Congrats on your home contract, rental property contract, and last week of work!

Thanks! The military pays to ship everything, we just have to stay under a certain weight limit.

There were two main factors that determined what we shipped. The first dealt with size limitations. Houses are much smaller in the UK so we sold our office desk, an extra sofa and love seat set, and other things we didn’t really need.

Second, they have different electrical standards than the US so we had to check every electrical device to see if the voltage and frequency would be compatible. We kept a few devices that won’t work over there, but got rid of many things including a TV and some smaller kitchen appliances.

Once we get there, we’ll probably end up doing another round of decluttering. It is a never ending battle!