With just over 7 weeks until we move to the UK, we are beginning to feel the pressure of a massive time crunch. We still need to sell our house, organize and get rid of more stuff, and prep for our trip to Chile. Not to mention, both of our rental properties are in need of repairs and new tenants. This is sure to be a wild ride!
The home selling process has not gone nearly as smoothly as we hoped. Right before our house went on the market, several homes, including our next door neighbor’s, sold for above asking price. The prospect of making a decent profit and a potential bidding war had us excited. We’ve had around 15 showings and the feedback from every realtor on the house itself has been great.
Two weeks ago, we got an offer that ended up falling through and we were completely bummed. Everything has been very quiet since then. We believe our house is fairly priced at $10K less than what our neighbors got for a comparable house, and we really don’t want to go any lower. Thankfully, we have another showing scheduled for tomorrow and hopefully this is the one!
In an odd coincidence, both of our tenants recently notified us unexpectedly that they’d be moving out. One was a pain in the ass and we’re not sad to see them go, but the other was great and has rented from us for about five years and never once had an issue. Up to this point, we’ve managed the properties ourselves. With our upcoming move overseas, we decided it was time to get property managers. We kept in touch with the realtor who originally sold us one of our houses and hired him on to manage the rental. This should work out well and we’re not too concerned about finding new tenants.
Our other house has serious foundation issues. We’ve submitted a claim to the builder’s insurance company and are awaiting the inspection results. This has potential to become a serious headache and we’re in the process of hiring a property manager. I’d love to sell this house, but it may not be feasible right now. At a minimum, I hope our claim is approved and we can get the house fixed with little money out of pocket. I wouldn’t mind renting it out for a few more years to help pay down the principle and then get rid of the place.
Lastly, our trip to Chile is only four weeks away! Although we’re super stoked for the trip, it has given us an artificially short deadline to get everything done a few weeks earlier than would have otherwise been necessary. We really need our house to close before this trip and that means we need a good offer… like NOW!
I’m not usually the type to get stressed, but this is starting to get to me. I know everything will work out just fine. Right now, though, it seems like there is so much to do in such a short amount of time. It has been tough to stay focused at work and I’m really looking forward to being finished with the whole house selling and moving process. Assuming everything gets taken care of over the next month, we should be able to enjoy Chile without any stress or worries. That’ll give us some time to enjoy family and recharge before heading off to England.
Anyone else going through a stressful time right now?