Feeling Stressed and Overwhelmed

Lighthouse

With just over 7 weeks until we move to the UK, we are beginning to feel the pressure of a massive time crunch.  We still need to sell our house, organize and get rid of more stuff, and prep for our trip to Chile.  Not to mention, both of our rental properties are in need of repairs and new tenants.  This is sure to be a wild ride!

The home selling process has not gone nearly as smoothly as we hoped.  Right before our house went on the market, several homes, including our next door neighbor’s, sold for above asking price.  The prospect of making a decent profit and a potential bidding war had us excited.  We’ve had around 15 showings and the feedback from every realtor on the house itself has been great.

Two weeks ago, we got an offer that ended up falling through and we were completely bummed.  Everything has been very quiet since then.  We believe our house is fairly priced at $10K less than what our neighbors got for a comparable house, and we really don’t want to go any lower.  Thankfully, we have another showing scheduled for tomorrow and hopefully this is the one!

In an odd coincidence, both of our tenants recently notified us unexpectedly that they’d be moving out.  One was a pain in the ass and we’re not sad to see them go, but the other was great and has rented from us for about five years and never once had an issue.  Up to this point, we’ve managed the properties ourselves.  With our upcoming move overseas, we decided it was time to get property managers.  We kept in touch with the realtor who originally sold us one of our houses and hired him on to manage the rental.  This should work out well and we’re not too concerned about finding new tenants.

Our other house has serious foundation issues.  We’ve submitted a claim to the builder’s insurance company and are awaiting the inspection results.  This has potential to become a serious headache and we’re in the process of hiring a property manager.  I’d love to sell this house, but it may not be feasible right now.  At a minimum, I hope our claim is approved and we can get the house fixed with little money out of pocket.  I wouldn’t mind renting it out for a few more years to help pay down the principle and then get rid of the place.

Lastly, our trip to Chile is only four weeks away!  Although we’re super stoked for the trip, it has given us an artificially short deadline to get everything done a few weeks earlier than would have otherwise been necessary.  We really need our house to close before this trip and that means we need a good offer… like NOW!

I’m not usually the type to get stressed, but this is starting to get to me.  I know everything will work out just fine.  Right now, though, it seems like there is so much to do in such a short amount of time.  It has been tough to stay focused at work and I’m really looking forward to being finished with the whole house selling and moving process.  Assuming everything gets taken care of over the next month, we should be able to enjoy Chile without any stress or worries.  That’ll give us some time to enjoy family and recharge before heading off to England.

Anyone else going through a stressful time right now?

12 thoughts on “Feeling Stressed and Overwhelmed

1. My Wonderful World of Vintage says:

When we were getting ready to leave on our long term travel adventure the closing on our townhouse kept getting delayed and it literally closed the day before our flight. That same day we sold our last car and got rid of the stuff we were holding on to in case we were going to have to miss our flight to stay back to make sure everything was resolved. It was so stressful! I’m sure everything will work out for you too, it’s stressful but once it’s done it will be so worth it. Hang in there!

2. allroundbetterme says:

Wow! That’s a lot going on all at once. It makes sense that you are feeling stressed, I totally would be too! I’m sure it will all work out just fine, but I’d be willing to bet that it’ll all come down to the last minute. Fingers crossed I am totally wrong. 🙂

Sending you guys lots of good energy to get through this home stretch!! You for sure have a lot on your plate right now, and a lot of uncertainty, and I can see why that has you so stressed out. Fingers crossed that a great offer comes in ASAP, you get good news on your foundation claim, and you find some excellent new tenants! 🙂

4. mdbyfire says:

Holy moly, that does sound incredibly stressful! However, it sounds like you’re staying on top of things despite the flux and uncertainty and keeping it all in perspective, which is commendable–there’s light at the end of the tunnel! I’ve been a little stressed myself lately (not quite to your level) because I recently found out I’ll have to move from my current living situation, which was a pretty sweet setup financially and left me lots of room in my budget. The uncertainty of trying to find something as nice for the same price has me already looking at listings, even though my move-in date is 3 months away! Like you, I know it’ll all work out, but that doesn’t stop my brain from worrying.

It doesn’t hurt to start looking early. There’s bound to be stress any time you’re dealing with change and uncertainty. We seem to have a lot of both right now. Thankfully some of it is starting to work itself out. Good luck finding a new place!

5. Kalie @ Pretend to Be Poor says:

Wow, that sounds overwhelming. The very thought of moving a family is stressful–especially internationally. I’m sure it’ll all be worth it, though! Sorry your property is having foundation problems. That sounds like no fun to deal with. We had a huge project last summer–part of our home’s frame was rotting away from moisture and carpenter ants. Glad that’s behind us.

Thankfully we’re getting some good action on the house this week. We’ve heard that we could potentially be getting two offers!

Major home repairs are never fun. I remember reading about yours. We’ll have to hope for the best.

As you said though, it’ll all be worth it in the end.