That Time I Forgot Our Ten Year Anniversary

Wedding

Last Friday morning started like any other.  I woke up to a quiet house, everyone else still fast asleep.  School was out and I was relieved that I didn’t have to get the kids ready.  I ate breakfast and began getting ready for work.  As I was brushing my teeth, Mrs. DTG handed me her phone to show me something.

The night before, I was relaxing on the couch in the living room watching Game 1 of the NBA Finals.  Earlier that evening, I’d spent about an hour walking our dog around the neighborhood as potential buyers were viewing our house.  This had become a normal occurrence over the last couple weeks.  And the drama surrounding the sale of our house is a story for another time.

As I sat there decompressing from the day, Mrs. DTG asked out of nowhere, “Do you want to go out for dinner or maybe grab a few drinks tomorrow?”

“Uh, I guess,” I replied.

Not thinking much of it, I returned my attention to the game.  I’d been watching the playoffs almost nightly for weeks and was excited for the Cavs/Warriors rematch.

Nearly a week earlier, a thought popped into my head and left just as quickly.  “Oh shit, our anniversary is coming up.  Damn, traffic sucks today.  And work, too.  Thank goodness we’re moving soon.  Do I have any beer at home?”

As my eyes focused on the cell phone screen, I wondered why I was looking at pictures of our wedding.  I began reading my wife’s Facebook status and it quickly became crystal clear.

I glanced up and she was not amused.  I had completely forgotten our anniversary.  And not just any anniversary.  This one was a milestone.

Mrs. DTG left for work and I knew I was screwed.  A few minutes later I received a long text that began, “Way to make your wife feel loved on your 10th anniversary.”  Uh oh.

Look guys, sometimes when you mess up you just need to admit it and apologize.  This was one of those times.  Nothing can really make up for my mental lapse and thankfully Mrs. DTG accepted my apology.  Did I mention how smart and beautiful she is?  We had a great dinner at a French restaurant capped off by dessert at The Cheesecake Factory.

Even though everything has been super hectic lately, I should’ve made this occasion a priority.  I’ve been informed of a new invention called the smart phone that allows users to set reminders so they don’t forget important events, like a ten year anniversary.

Oh, and speaking of anniversaries, the blog turned one earlier this week!  I’m still amazed at the connections we’ve made and how much our lives have changed in one short year.  Thank you all for stopping by and being part of our journey.

Anyone else ever forget an anniversary or their spouse’s birthday?  I know I’m not the only one.

18 thoughts on “That Time I Forgot Our Ten Year Anniversary

1. Clearwing says:

I think my husband is actually better than me at remembering these things because I work in retail and have no concept of what day it is unless someone writes a check or something at work. Plus, we practically live for going out to eat, so it helps us plan for the occasion. Happy Anniversaries!

Thanks! I’m horrible with these things. I usually know the day of the week, but not the actual date. Although we don’t eat out too much, we do enjoy a nice meal on special occasions. It’s a good excuse to splurge a bit. Thanks for stopping by!

2. ambientwares says:

This last anniversary, I woke up and saw on my phone a reminder saying “Anniversary”. Then I thought, geez, why didn’t I put whose anniversary? Luckily we realized before we went to work but, still, I felt awful for not even considering it could be mine 😀

Happy Anniversary!

3. Mr. PIE says:

I am so bad about remembering family member birthdays such as sibling, nephews, nieces. Thank goodness for alerts and my other half Mrs. PIE who is always on top of these things.

My neurons are rapidly declining as I approach FIRE and hopefully the decline will be arrested when I am a lot more stress free!!

Awesome you admitted the screw-up and owned it. All good in the end apparently.

It ended up being fine. I nearly forgot my dad’s birthday earlier this year, too. Thankfully, I remembered it the day of and gave him a call. I know the actual dates of all these birthdays and anniversaries, I just don’t really focus on what day it is at the time. I suppose I should work on that!

4. Harmony Smith (@CMK_Harmony) says:

I keep worrying that I forgot Father’s Day. I know Mr. Smith has been craving a chance to sleep in and maybe get some breakfast in bed. The past two Sundays I’ve seen a mention of the holiday somewhere and suddenly went into a panic, but it’s coming up this weekend . . . must remember.

5. Julie @ Millennial Boss says:

I forgot my fiancé and my 4-year anniversary. I tend to put work and other stuff ahead of home life and get distracted by other things. He would never forget an event like that. It made me feel like a horrible person since I really do appreciate him. I’m working on being more in-tune with showing my gratitude of others.