Time to Get My Ass in Gear

Run Post

Sooooo… DTG just signed us up for a 5K.  For anyone who has no clue what the flip I’m talking about, that’s a 3.1 mile race.  It may not sound like much, and in reality, it’s really not a big deal.  But it’s still a race that we paid for.  And I haven’t actually run 3 miles straight in who knows how long.  We paid someone to run and get a shirt we may never wear again, but there’s something to be said about the energy, inspiration, motivation, and fun to be had from an organized race that you just can’t get from running on your own.

We’re no newbies to races.  Neither of us have ever run a full marathon, but we’ve run multiple 5Ks, 5-mile Turkey Trots, 10Ks, and half marathons.  Well, I’ve only run one half marathon, not multiple… I was too busy being pregnant for what seemed like an eternity.  Plus, I don’t actually like running.  That’s the real reason 😛

So in about 4 weeks we’ll be running our first race in over 3 years.  It’ll be our first one since living in Texas, which is kind of sad, but I’m excited to get our final race in the States before moving overseas.

The race celebrates cancer survivors which makes it extra inspirational.  The last few races we’ve run were the AF Marathon races in Dayton, OH.  They were great, but I really enjoy the smaller scale ones benefiting different causes, as well, like the Children’s Miracle March 5K/10K we did a couple times in Ohio.

I’ll be “training up” until May 14th so I don’t get completely left in the dust by men and women twice my age.  This is a good thing because I’ve been completely off my game lately.  Unlike my husband who works out almost every day, I seem to go in waves.  For a few weeks I’m in a good groove and feeling great, then I go into a slump for another month.  I keep telling myself it’s all due to this graduate school business, but I’m not sure that’s a good excuse.  And I don’t really like excuses.  I’m just being a lazy heifer and that’s that.  I needed this race to make me accountable.  Sadly, I needed to pay to run so I could get my ass in gear.

Wish me luck… I’m gonna need it!

P.S.  Just to put a little extra pressure on ourselves, goal time for DTG is <25 mins, goal time for me is <30 mins.

29 thoughts on “Time to Get My Ass in Gear

• Mrs. DTG says:

You should definitely try it out at least once! It really is a lot of fun and it will motivate you. Well, depending on how you take it… People twice your age passing you could either be motivational or depressing, hahaha 😁

1. mrsssc says:

You can do it! I hate running too – but I always had a goal to run a 5k, and a few years ago I managed to train and run one in my first trimester. I had signed up before getting pregnant, and was determined to do it anyways because I wanted to cross it off my list and never have to run again. Of course this is unlike my husband who can go from couch to a half-marathon in 8 weeks because his body is built for it. I’d rather deadlift 250lbs! At least you are running before the summer heat gets too bad!

• Mrs. DTG says:

That’s so interesting… the same thing happened to me for one of my 10Ks! I ended up running it at 11 weeks. Great job on finishing! 🙂

Good luck! I think it’s awesome you’re doing a race before you leave Texas, and I completely understand that paying for the race adds the extra motivation that you need. I know you can do it, and the race day good vibes always add a little speed boost. You’ve done the distance before, so you already know you can dig deep and gut it out if you have to. 🙂

3. Maggie says:

Good luck! I also hate running. So I choose not to torture myself by signing up for such ridiculousness. 🙂 Ironically, I signed up for a 5k in college but then had to work backstage on the university opera, so my roommate ran it in my name. She was an actual runner, so I came in like 12th!

• Mrs. DTG says:

Omg, no! Haha! I really would love to do a triathlon at some point, though… even if it’s just a sprint one. We have so many triathlete friends and it’s incredible how much they love it. Our good friends did the Kona Ironman… they are beasts. Pretty awesome!

4. ourfrugalescapades says:

Wishing you the best of luck! Training to run 3.1 miles is a lot of work and I really admire your drive. Your post is both inspirational and motivational for others as well. Thank you for participating in such a great cause that so many have been touched by personally.

Now I feel a bit lazy as I sit here and write this comment! Best get moving! Ha ha! Again, good luck!

• Mrs. DTG says:

Haha you need to step your game up! It’s always good to have some friendly competition to keep ourselves accountable. Good time to sign up for a race 😉

5. kalieb says:

I don’t like running, either. 5k is probably the outer limits of what I could manage without training. But I think it’s great that you’re getting back into it!

6. Harmony Smith (@CMK_Harmony) says:

I just starting going running again at night now that all three kids are going to bed at the same time – and by running, I mean a mix of jogging, walking fast, and a couple of sprints. Good luck with the training – nothing like paying for a race to get you motivated 🙂

• Mrs. DTG says:

We just got back from a night run ourselves… Once all three kids were in bed, haha 😉 I really like running at night, but I don’t do it as often as I should. I need to pick it up, I always find I have more energy and run faster. Keep it up… Maybe you should sign up for a race too! 🙂

7. eemusings says:

I don’t really LIKE running either, but I do enjoy it once I’m actually out and moving and I always feel better after – never regret lacing up those shoes! Plus now I have a dog who I run with which makes it a lot more interesting. Signing up for little races makes for great discipline 🙂

8. eemusings says:

Whoops – hit send too soon! 10k is my limit – never run a race longer than that.Sometimes I think about training for a marathon but I simply don’t like running for long to be honest and can’t imagine running for the better part of a day, non stop. You gotta pick your goals and make sure they align with YOUR values and I think that would be a ‘for the sake of it, so I can say I did it’ rather than ‘because I actually want to’ goal.

• Mrs. DTG says:

For sure, I totally agree with all of that! Except running with my dog…not sure it’s a good thing lol. Sometimes he kind of helps pull me along and go faster, sometimes I’m having to drag him along, and other times he’ll just randomly stop to smell something or whatever and mess up my momentum. It’s annoying but I usually bring him anyway haha