Can you believe we’re already a week into 2016? Craziness. It’s even harder to believe that today is exactly six months since we started blogging. In that time, we’ve written 43 posts and gotten just over 6,000 page views. I’m still somewhat amazed people are actually following us!
Here are some highlights from the second half of 2015 after we started this blog.
- We went on an amazing road trip across the southwestern United States and visited three national parks
- We gained a better understanding of ourselves and our priorities
- We outlined our route to financial independence
- We connected with so many awesome people in the online personal finance community
Moving ahead to 2016, we have several goals and milestones to work towards. Here are a few of them.
- $6,000 in dividend income (this is extremely aggressive… I’ve got some work to do!)
- $10,000 in private real estate lending
- $10,000 in realized capital gains from stock trading
- Create at least one new income stream
- Find out in April if we will be moving
- 10 year anniversary in June
- Mrs. DTG graduates from Physical Therapy school and turns 30 in August
- FinCon16 in September
The four points under family tie into a somewhat funny story. As you can see, we have several huge personal milestones coming up this year. Because of this, Mrs. DTG has made it clear for quite some that she’ll be expecting a nice vacation to celebrate all these major accomplishments… perhaps a romantic getaway to an exotic location.
Not wanting to disappoint, I’ve been researching potential destinations. Finally, I found the perfect one and decided to unveil it as her Christmas present. To add to the suspense, I asked her to guess where we’ll be heading. As a hint, I told her it starts with an F.
She quickly exclaimed, “Fiji!!!”
Good guess, but not quite right. After a few seconds of silence, I told her we’d be heading to San Diego to attend FinCon! At first she was like, “WTF, bro. Seriously?” There’s nothing like talking about personal finance and investing to strike up the romance!
Actually, I may have embellished the story a bit. She’s been dreaming about staying in an over-water bungalow somewhere in the South Pacific for our 10 year anniversary for as long as I can remember and it’s definitely on our bucket list. When I initially told her about FinCon, she had no idea what it was. Since then, the idea has really grown on her and we’re super excited to go. We hope to meet many of you and others we follow (and feel like we already know). As an added bonus, we’ve never been to San Diego and have been wanting to visit anyway. We can’t wait!
Oh, and I’ll be sure to work a special date night into the trip!