Repurposing an Old TV Stand

Desk Close Up

In our first minimalism challenge update, we mentioned that instead of recycling an item beyond repair, we were going to repurpose that item.  With limited free time on the weekends, I decided to take a Friday off from work earlier this month to concentrate on transforming an old, broken TV stand into a standing computer desk.

Broken TV stand collecting stuff in our son's room

Broken TV stand collecting stuff in our son’s room

Following the theme of the shelves I built a few months ago in the kitchen, I decided to go once again with the wood and pipe look.  After quickly conceptualizing the design, I drew it out on a piece of paper to determine the pipe lengths and connectors I would need.

Desk Sketch

I spray painted the pipes and assembled everything the same day.  The total cost of the project was $135.  This is a little more than I initially envisioned spending, but it is more functional than what we had before and I plan on using this desk for years to come.

Prior to building this, I had been using another standing desk for my laptop, but the tabletop was way too small.  Here’s a picture of our old desk on the left with the new one on the right.  I’ll probably end up putting a larger top on the original desk in the relatively near future.

Standing Desks

In addition to the desk, I also decided to build and install two simple shelves for our laundry room.  When we first moved into our house, the laundry room had no shelving at all.  The builder told us that our model didn’t include any shelving or cabinetry, but they’d let us know if any extra sets came along.

A few days later, the builder stopped by our house with a 42” x 42” cabinet that closely resembled the ones in our kitchen.  We took it and installed the cabinet over our dryer.  This was great, though we were left with an awkward, open space above the washing machine.

It remained that way for nearly two years.  During that time, we talked about putting something there, but never got around to it.  Taking advantage of my motivation to build things on my day off, I finally put up some shelves.

Laundry Shelves

The Mrs. plans to label some bins and make these shelves organized and functional soon, but for now they just have soap nuts, wool dryer balls, and random old vases

Laundry Room

Laundry Room Before and After

What do you think?  Do I have a future side business in early retirement?  How much do you think people would be willing to pay for custom shelves, desks, or maybe even tables?

13 thoughts on “Repurposing an Old TV Stand

1. Maggie says:

Creating is always a thrill. And repurposing stuff is even cooler. Well done on the projects. My husband has all the plans for his own standing desk, but he hasn’t been able to get around to it yet with all the energy rebate program stuff. Looking forward to being done with all of that!

2. projectpatrol says:

Wonderful job on all but, those laundry shelves are gorgeous and will be even more so with the addition of bins. As for pricing, all I can say is they sell for a pretty penny (many pennies) on Etsy 😀 Go for it!!

I LOVE the standing desk you built! While I couldn’t tell you what people would pay for something like that since we haven’t bought much of anything in several years, I sure think all of the stuff you’ve made looks cool enough to sell it!

I’m going to keep it like this. The shelves are stained an oak color which is a nice contrast to the expresso colored cabinets. I built another shelving unit for the kitchen earlier this year and the laundry room is continuing that same theme.

I’m not an expert by any means, but it’s always good to be at least somewhat handy.

4. Red Badger says:

Nice handyman stuff. I have bought almost all of our furniture at the Habitat Store near us. I usually get unique, quality items for pennies on the dollar. My current stand desk is a conventional desk with a wooden crate on top. Both were obtained at Habitat for maybe $20.00 all in. Our NC weather allows me to work from my deck most days. Inclement weather and serious meetings drive me inside. But I still have a view of our gardens when at inside standing desk.

Thanks! It’s fun to repurpose stuff, though I’m not the best handyman by any means. I should be starting a new project in a week or so to give us a little more counter space in our new kitchen. Should only take a few days. I’ll probably write a post once I’m done.

Sounds like you have a nice setup with a great view!